July 25, 2012

More Bridal Shower Cookies!

Not too long ago, I was asked to make some cookies for another bridal shower. I was really looking forward to making some more wedding type cookies. I also had a new cookie cutter and some new ideas to try out! The wedding colors were gray, yellow, and orange. I really wish my gray had come out lighter, but I did not realize just how dark it would end up being.
Working with royal icing is a bit tricky for few reasons. You can make the icing thinner or thicker depending on how you will be using it and it can be a little tricky to know if you have it at the right thickness until you actual start decorating a cookie. Getting the right color is also tricky. This icing deepens in color for about 24 hrs after you make it. I'm still learning just how much a color will deepen and how to leave it lighter than I actually want it so when it darkens I still like it. Alas, it makes it hard to get the exact color you want and sometimes I end up with something darker than I hoped for :( Of course, the obvious solution is to make my icing ahead of time, however that involved planning farther ahead.Then you run into the icing needing to be well covered so it doesn't dry.
Despite color issues, I really liked how these ones came out. The longer gown cookies might be my favorite. I think that cookie cutter is my current favorite, though I have an alligator cookie cutter I have yet to use that I'm looking forward to!








1 comment:

  1. I love what you're doing. They are so cute, creative...who would want to eat them, though? They're too cute to eat! Can't wait to see you next week. Mom P.S. I was showing your blog to the "Aunts" in Wisconsin last week. Do you have a problem if I send the link to them to see more of what you're doing? Don't want to send it if you don't want it. They were impressed with the few pages that I showed them.

    ReplyDelete